The conversation is always enlightening and makes us proud. Parker kids just seem to blossom with confidence as they find that their skills transfer so well to new settings. This year we had representatives from Emma Willard, Doane Stuart, Albany High, Guilderland High and Darrow. Here are a few of their comments.
What did you find most surprising about your new school?
- All the stairs!
- There's not as much homework as I expected.
- There is so much homework!
- There are 2 tests a day!
- 2 hours of sports a day
- The knowledge that you are someone - don't let anyone take that away.
- The method of thinking - I know about how to apply and connect knowledge. The kids in my classes were taught what to think, not how to think.
- I understand about good research and how to cite sources.
- Making friends. Parker was like a close family and it was the perfect balance of support and independence.
- I learned how to ask teachers for help.
- I am always raising my hand because James taught us literally everything! I am interested in learning and the kids in my classes just sit there.
- I am definitely not fazed by being assigned an 8 page paper!
- Smile every day at someone - it makes you feel better.
- Enjoy this year - it's the best!
- Try hard in all your classes.
- Kiss Shelli's feet! You are going to be SO well prepared for math next year.
- Never lose sight of yourself.
- Learn to do something that quickly relaxes you so you can relieve stress.
- When you get to 9th grade, show that you are willing to try hard and that you are interested - then teachers will respect you.
The energy and openness of our recent grads was great to see! In big schools and small schools, public and independent - they are all doing us proud.
Alumni Update! From 1998 to 2010 - These people are amazing! http://www.parkerschool.org/news-events/alumni-news/